Thursday, January 10, 2008

"sneak-back-in-to-the-kitchen-at-2- a.m.-for-seconds"

Well, I suppose the momentous first post in a blog should have some sort of grand gesture first post, the "WHO I AM!" and "WHAT I COOK!" and, god forbid, perhaps even a "WHY THIS MATTERS IN MY LIFE (and yours)!"
Or at least some sort of mission statement.
Ah well. That's not to be, although I suppose it will all work itself out in the long run. If I waited forever for the perfect first post, I would be waiting until the internet itself is passé. For now, I have one momentous thing for any readers potentially stumbling across this little lonely, wind-swept site: the most delicious, moist, sneak-back-in-to-the-kitchen-at-2-a.m.-for-seconds banana bread I've ever consumed. (And that includes the ones that didn't come from my own kitchen).


Banana Bread (loaded full of things)
It's based off of an Emeril Lagasse recipe (eek, I know, but I swear I won't start saying "bam!", ever, in this post, or in outside physical life). I changed the "shortening" to butter, because I'm of the rather popular opinion that no truly good baked good can be created with vegetable shortening (with the possible exception of pie crusts), nixed the macadamia nuts, and added in loads of other things.
It's the result of a few years worth of experimentation, and I'm pretty sure it would be just as good with different add-in types. Change the nut, add more or less, do what you will. I thought to sprinkle the top with demerara sugar, but managed to forget by the time I stuck it in the oven.

1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 heaping c. banana
1 tspn. baking soda
1/2 tspn. salt
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tspn cinnamon
1/3 c. walnuts (or to taste)
1/3 c. finely chopped candied ginger (or to taste)
1/2 c. chocolate chips (or to taste)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, with electric mixer or very thoroughly by hand. Add the bananas and mix well. Add the baking soda, salt, flour, and cinnamon. Fold in walnuts, candied ginger, and chocolate chips. Dough will be sticky.

Pour into a 9x9 glass pan and bake for around 30 minutes, until it's browned and set.

Photo by the generous and ever-lovely Emily F. Samstag.

No comments: