Thursday, July 17, 2008

Insalata Caprese, in a way

Something very good happened tonight. I've been running around these past few weeks, trying to get everything done at once (and usually getting nothing done as a result). So tonight I scheduled in a night to myself, so I could catch up on blogs and fiction, and cook myself dinner. It's not really cooking weather, though, so I marinated myself some mozzarella and put it on top of a tomato and basil salad. These normally belong in a salad of their very own, or on top of bread, I suppose; but it's been so hot outside, and when I come home from biking everywhere, I'd much rather eat something lighter than bread and more heavy on the vegetables than normal Caprese.

So I cracked open a beer and tore up some lettuce and picked some rosemary and basil from the bushes outside and made myself a huge salad. I ate it on the porch and watched the sunset.

Have you taken any time for yourself lately? I highly suggest it.

The whole thing isn't very pretty, so there aren't any pictures, but if there were a word for a
photogenic-on-your-tastebuds, it would definitely be that.

Variation on the Caprese
I got some beautiful heirloom tomatoes from the market. One was this particularly delicious yellow plum tomato type thing (I'm sure it has a name somewhere out there in the world). I just recently learned how to save tomato seeds, and I'm hooked. Should you bite into one that's worth saving this summer, I suggest you follow these instructions. Next summer, with luck, we can all have loads of (free!) seeds.

I used a variation on this vinaigrette for the marinade. I learned the basic concept in my eighth-grade French cooking class, and I haven't strayed since. The trio of vinegar, olive oil, and spicing works for just about anything you'd want to dress. This serves one, but can obviously be increased.

Finally, don't skimp on the basil, because it's one of the main flavors. I used a fairly mild lettuce so as to not to overpower the basil.

For marinated mozzarella
1/2 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 - 1 clove garlic, chopped (to taste)
1/2 small sprig of rosemary (or to taste)
3 oz fresh mozzarella, small balls or roughly chopped

For salad
1 medium tomato
handful basil
2-3 large handfuls salad greens

For serving
Kosher salt

-Combine all vinaigrette ingredients (but not the mozzarella), whisk until smooth. Marinate the mozzarella in it for an hour or longer, stirring occasionally to make sure it all gets covered.
-Chop the tomatoes (and save the seeds! so cool!) Tear the basil and greens with your hands, toss together in a bowl.
-Deposit mozzarella on top of salad. Dress with remaining marinade. Sprinkle with kosher salt.

No comments: