Monday, July 21, 2008

Rhubarb, for my father

When my father comes to visit, I like to show off my cooking skills. After all, the man lived through what we might call "The Bad Decades", in which I didn't quite understand that baking powder needs to be thoroughly mixed into batters and I wasn't really clear on meat needing to be cooked all the way through. I once set the toaster oven on fire and then proceeded to dump water on it (neither of these are things you should try out for yourself). But one new toaster oven and several years later, I like to think I've got a skill or two in the kitchen.
To prove this, I usually foist food on him whenever he comes to visit me. One of the things I fed him last time was a certain intriguing raw rhubarb compôte. I found the concept a lot more interesting than the end result, but apparently Dad liked it enough, because he keeps asking me to post it here (hi Dad!). I think I would have liked it a whole lot more if I had chopped the rhubarb very finely, so go ahead and give that a try.

Rhubarb in the Raw
I found this recipe on culinate, a very nifty little site based in my lovely hometown.

1 lb. rhubarb, leaves trimmed
10 dried apricots, coarsely chopped
⅓ cup dried cranberries
⅓ cup honey
8 small rosemary sprigs (about 2 inches each)
2 tsp. orange liquor, such as Grand Marnier or Cointreau
Chopped mint for garnish

- Chop rhubarb fairly finely
- Combine everything but the mine in a medium-sized non-reactive bowl (glass or stainless steel). Mix well.
-Let sit for 24 hours, stirring at least twice in this time.
-Remove the rosemary sprigs. Garnish with mint.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH THE BAD YEARS

like when we argued about whether cantaloupes had seeds (you didn't think so? confusing) and also you insisted that melting the butter in the microwave and adding sugar was the same as creaming them together.

oh and the pastry brush. oh my. what were we thinking.